Johanna's father, Patrick (born 1854) and 4 of his brothers - Edward (b1850), John (b1841), Michael (1855) and Thomas, arrived in Melbourne in the 1860's. They were the sons of James & Mary (nee LONERGAN) SHORTIS of Tipperary, Ireland. John selected land at Mt Scobie (near Kyabram) in 1886 and married Margaret SHINNICK. Patrick had selected land at Congupna/Katandra by 1882.
Patrick SHORTIS married Mary DANAHER (born 1855 in Tipperary Ireland) on 5 November 1882 in St Mary's Church, West Melbourne. They moved to the property "Cloverdale" at Marionvale. They had 4 children, their daughter Mary married Jim 0'SHEA, and son Edwin married Esma WASON.
Johanna's father, Patrick built a house, kitchen, horse stables, barn with chock and log fencing. The kitchen & house had a corrugated iron roof and the farm buildings had a thatched roof. They milked cows and carted the milk in cans by spring cart to the Congupna Creamery where the milk was separated. The skim milk was taken back home to feed pigs and some cream was used for butter making. The separated cream was taken by cart to the Shepparton Butter Factory. They also had a small orchard. By 1895, Patrick had purchased another property in O'Shea's Road.
After Patrick died in 1912, Mary and the two sons, James and Edwin ran the farm. Mary died in 1924 and the estate was sold and purchased by the two son-in-laws. Bertram FORD purchased the home property and Jim O'SHEA purchased the outblock.